Saturday, May 21, 2011

40 things I love about Oman #38 Omani Bagpipers!



I love the crossing of cultures in Oman!
Before leaving for Oman, we attended an Omani festival in Washington DC many years ago now. As we approached the mall, I could hear the sound of pipes-bagpipes! Was I hearing things? The sound of my homeland, just captured me. So I started running toward the sound! I think my sweet and kiddos thought I had lost it.
What greeted me was the most beautiful sight. The crossing of cultures in a way I never thought I would see: Omani Bagpipers! Yes. The Sultan's army have had a long heritage with the British Army. The Sultan has..wait for it..two camel mounted bagpipe bands!
I love my birth country and my adopted country..and camels! 
We got to witness Omani bagpipers using the pipes to dance traditional Omani dances. The camel pipers I have yet to see-one day I will! Camel mounted bagpipers have to have special fitted pipes, as so many of the pipers were losing teeth due to playing while riding the camel.