Wednesday, May 4, 2011
40 things I love about Oman #25 Sweets!
Omani Halwa (sweets) is a traditional food eaten with served with Arabic coffee as a sign of hospitality. There is nothing quite like the taste of Halwa. It is very sweet and sticky. It is made in a huge pot which sits over hot burning coals. Traditionally everyone has their own secret recipe, but the main ingredients are starch, eggs, sugar, water, ghee (clarified butter), saffron, cardamom, nuts and rose water which are combined and stirred for many hours. Due to the large sugar content it can keep for many months without refrigeration. I am not a huge fan of this but I do love the other traditional Middle Eastern sweet: Baklava!
Many countries take credit for inventing this tasty sweet treat. The Turks, Greeks, Lebanese, Syrians & Armenians all believe it was their invention. While found in these countries, it has also become a traditional sweet served with coffee all over the Arabian Gulf and Middle East.
Phyllo dough pastry sheets are coated in melted butter and layered with nuts (walnut, pistachio, cashew and almond), syrup and rosewater. It is the most delightful tasting pastry ever!

