Monday, May 2, 2011

40 things I love about Oman #23 Omani hospitality


























The Omani people are very friendly and welcoming. Only 30% of Oman's population are indigenous to Oman! As a result of the multi national feel of Muscat, English is widely used as the common language. Omanis are keen to practice their English and enjoy replying to us in English when we tried to speak and practice our Arabic!
The hospitality of our Omani neighbors was a huge culture shock to me! On one occasion our kiddos had gone to play in the home of an Omani neighbor who had a child of similar age. It was getting close to supper (which was in the oven) time, so I left the oven on and popped next door to collect the kiddos. What happened next was amazing! I was greeted by a maid who ushered me into the house and into the huge, exquisitely decorated parlour. I had just come to collect the kiddos, but by entering the home I had now become a guest to be welcomed.
The parents of the child were not home, so it was the eldest child's role to welcome me. It turns out she was a 20 year old medical student. What transpired was an hours visit only ending when the food stopped coming!
I was brought freshly squeezed juice, plates of fruit, and of course coffee and Omani sweets!
Panicking inside because I left the oven  on, I couldn't relax as much as I would have liked. I had only come to collect my kiddos from a play date and here I was being greeted with such warmth. I was glad that this young girl knew English and we had the most wonderful time.
Eventually I was able  to return home to a well-done dinner with the kiddos, but the time spent within the home of our Omani neighbors was worth it! 




The plate of fruit and coffee looked something like this! Served on a two huge plates-Omanis know hospitality.