Friday, April 15, 2011

40 things I love about Oman #10 Mango Mania!






















Around this time each year, Lulus hypermarket has a Mango Festival.  Often, there are over 100 varieties of mangoes for sale! I had no idea that there were so many. In our home country we may get one or two choices, but in Oman, once a year it is a mango lovers dream!
I have always wanted to buy one of every kind and try them all, but since the varieties are written in Arabic it is hard to translate that many! But perhaps next year I will give it a go.
While shopping, it is not uncommon for the Omani men to buy the groceries, as you can see in the photo below. I love this photo as it shows the great variety of mangoes during Mango Mania. A kilo of mangoes can be purchased for around 80 cents or 50 pence! Also it gives a good image of how the local Omani men dress. The men wear a white "dishdasha" complete with pockets for keys and mobile phones!