Saturday, April 9, 2011
40 things I love about Oman #4 Sand and Sunsets
Muscat is one of the hottest cities in the world. The mountains, as beautiful as they are, tend to hold the heat within the city. It seems ironic to be so close to the beaches and not be able to take full advantage of them. The sun is just too hot!
The beaches remain unspoiled by tourists, mostly due to it being a Muslim country. Women in public must dress modestly with their shoulders and knees covered. Tourism is gaining momentum in Oman, so there are private beach clubs where you can be "uncovered"-I'll stick to enjoying the public beaches, even if it is hot!
Shatti beach in Muscat was one of our favorite hang outs late afternoon in the hour before the sun sets. Due to the lack of grass in the city, you will find lots of local youth playing "soccer" or football as it is called here. Many take advantage of the breeze from the Arabian Sea and will stroll along the beach. Others will bring disposable barbecues with the smell of kebabs cooking making you not want to have to go home to cook dinner!
Year round, the sun sets almost always at 6pm.
I love this time of night! The sunsets are always beautiful with the city becoming alive with bustling shoppers and people hanging out in the local cafés or malls. I never get tired of seeing the sun set.