Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Our new Life!

It seems like we have been here forever! That's a good thing. Everyone, including the Kiddos feel right at home and it seems like the house was made just for us.
Our Arabic furniture arrived and it is the beginning of setting up our place for people to come and hang out. Since we last lived here, various web sites have sprung into operation, selling lots of used items. It has been great to slowly pick up some items that we don't have coming in our shipment.
About the shipment, we are still waiting! Cooking with the basic items continues to be a challenge but we know it's just a temporary thing. The kiddos are getting impatient to have their beds and toys, so hopefully it won't be much longer! It feels like we are in limbo. It's hard to get the house in order and into a routine when we don't have our school things, so we try to get out every afternoon and window shop. The kiddos are glad to get out but browsing makes them want to buy.
Yesterday we took a trip to a local mall and let them run around ToysRUs. Oh my..what a shocker! The prices are crazy. I remember from the last time we lived here that Barbie dolls for Christmas one year cost us $25 and I thought that was bad even back then! Kiddo No.3 loves lego-a basic starter box with 100 pieces was priced at $60/35 GBP! 
The other fun experience was a visit to a local grocery store. We went there in particular because it is the only place in the city that you can buy pork products. Muslims forbid the consumption of pork, so we had to go through a doorway with  a big sign saying "PORK, FOR NON-MUSLIMS". Kiddo No.2 thought this was the strangest thing! It was a shocker too. Firstly, the prices. Perhaps we can get used to pizza without buying pepperoni! About 20 slices cost around $15. My Sweet is already planning that each Kiddo can get one slice on their pizza and he will chop it into little pieces! 
The other weird thing was what products actually were in the little store room. I wish I had the courage to take some photos but it's Ramadan and I didn't want to attract too much attention. Apparently there is pork hidden in: Ice-cream Sundae Pop Tarts, cans of refried beans and a strawberry cake mix!
The last discovery yesterday, was the fact that we can see the mountains from our house. It has been so dusty and there is lots of construction going on in our neighborhood that I didn't think we lived with the mountains in view. Yesterday was a clear day and I got to see the outline of them! Today they have disappeared again into the cloud of dust that reminds me of our last country. Hopefully there will be more clear days to come, as I love the mountains.
Loving our new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.