Tuesday, August 16, 2011
Beaches & Boats
We made our first trip to the beach yesterday..just for a short walk before the sun set. Being Ramadan, Kiddo No.1 was less than impressed that she had to cover her arms to the wrists and not show her ankles. Since it was a short stroll it wasn't quite as bad as she thought. We are living in a Muslim country and the Omanis follow a sect of Islam called Ibadi. If were were making a Western comparison I guess you could compare their type to the Mennonites of Christianity. They are a very peaceful people, friendly and welcoming to foriegners living in their land.
Of course it's not easy during Ramadan to have to cover up in such hot weather, but we do it out of respect. Nothing would happen to us if we didn't. For example I saw some western ladies jogging in teeny tiny shorts 2 days ago and thought how disrespectful it was. We have chosen to live here and so we chose to live in a respectful way. I don't feel oppressed or that my rights are taken away by having to do this. Coming here is not all about me, it's about those we live among.
I loved the beach walk! The stretch that we walked along was dotted with fishing boats. It's such a peaceful way of life here...
This photo below is by far my favorite. I would have liked to have gotten closer to these fisherman for a better shot but not during Ramadan. We will be back to this section of the beach again. I still feel blessed that we get to actually live here. Living the dream!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.