So..we have been in Muscat for 5 days and it's all about re-learning things! Many things have changed since we last lived here, the major one being the road system. We are living in a different part of town, so I am having to learn where the grocery stores are and how to get there (and back). Today we all went shopping for food and I drove for the first time. First I had to get used to driving on the right side of the road having been driving on the left before. We have a rental car for now til we figure out how to afford our own. Thankfully it is an automatic car so I can drive and learn my landmarks without having to switch gears-too much for my brain right now!
Yesterday, we ventured out to find some Arab furniture for our downstairs room. It's really cheap, made with traditional cloth from the region and sits on the floor with no legs. It works great for having a house full of people. We are having some folks over on Monday, so it will be ready for their visit.
Although our shipment has yet to arrive, we are loving being in our own place. Simple things like cooking and having a family movie night are appreciated so much more since we have been apart so long. It's amazing what you can cook with one pot, one spoon and a casserole dish!
One of the things I love about Oman is the variety of food here. There are influences not just from the Arab world but India. On tonight's menu is Tandoori chicken (Indian style chicken kebabs) which we bought ready cooked. It is pretty reasonably priced at $7/4 GBP for a Kilo (roughly 2lbs.) of meat! I think this will be our new fast food treat!
Today is also the Holy Day which always falls on a Friday. Tomorrow begins the start of the teaching week for my Sweet and I may think about starting some school for the Kiddos as they are beginning to get a little bored in the empty house.
All in all it has been a great first week. Hopefully our shipment will arrive soon and then it will be hectic again..but in a good way!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.