![]() |
| The Kindle |
I have had the joy of traveling and living in many countries. Through my travels , one of the things I have discovered is that it is normal for things to be different. You come to accept the unexpected and although frustrating at times, soon the differences become no longer unusual.
One of the things we found different in Oman during our first journey it that there were no Libraries. The international schools would have some within their buildings but there was no public library.
The kiddos were really small and only learning to read the last journey , but now they have a love of books that I am very glad for. This is something we will miss on our return. I think our kiddos have read over 300 books this school year! Kiddo #2 has probably read half of these!
My sweet has been exploring different things on his weekends, and he thinks there might now be a lending book store in Muscat. This good news was tempered with the news that Borders who opened a books store the year after we left Oman, is now closing!
Last year Kiddo #1 was blessed by winning a Kindle (it’s an electronic device for reading books, holding thousands of books!) It is a wonderful invention allowing many books to be downloaded from Amazon (some for free). Of course nothing beats the smell of real paper on a book and the feel of how far along you have read, but it means less books to pack and store.
While on our stop over in my homeland, we have been reading as much as we can. The simple pleasure of walking to the Library today and having a choice of books was great! I am learning to make the most of the things we will miss once we are back in the Desert.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.