Usually when we are asked where we live, most have never heard of Oman. Sometimes it is confused with Amman which is in the country of Jordan. Oman borders the United Arab Emirates and most people have heard of the Emirate of Dubai, so when people look confused when I say I live in Oman, it’s usually qualified with-it’s near Dubai.
Today was one of those days when I was surprised that someone knew where Oman was!
My Gran had a contractor come to her house today for some remodeling work. As she got busy telling him about our plans to return to Oman, I piped in with telling him it is near Dubai. He told me that he knew where Oman was, because 30 years ago he worked there! He was a diver on the oil rigs based near Masirah Island off the East coast of Oman.
In the 1930’s the British Military had a base there, with the American’s using it during World War 11. There are around 12,000 inhabitants on Masirah divided into 12 villages.
The Omani Air Force use part of the Island. Kite surfing and Surfing are popular on Marisah. A lot has changed in 30 years in Oman. But Marisrah remains beautiful. I have many places that I want to visit on our return. You can see why..


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.