Tuesday, July 5, 2011

They're just Cups!


While we await our visa, we are living with my Gran in her apartment. Below her is a “homeless” apartment and a family of seven just moved in. I am finding that I am being challenged in the most unusual ways as we prepare to return to Oman.
The family below us lost everything in a house fire, so they are our temporary neighbors. Last night they came calling to our door asking for some cups as they have nothing to drink from.

I was shocked by my reaction. My Gran does not have any spare cups-but we do. You see whenever we travel, we take some small comforts from home with us. It is something I have done since the kiddos were little, so that wherever we are, they feel a small part of our home is still with us.
We try to take the kiddos plastic cups and plates. Call me crazy, but it is always comforting to the kiddos when they have breakfast or lunch to eat on something familiar.
During out time in the USA last year we got some cute little plastic cups with palm trees on them. For those who know me, I have a love of Palm trees!
We packed them from Florida and have enjoyed using them.
When this family came calling I was all of a sudden in conflict. Ridiculous. I have left my homeland, my family, friends for the sake of others  but here I was fighting internally about these cups! I kept telling myself that already we have had to give up so much over the years, why the cups?

Because someone in need asked. They may only be cups, but it was my heart that needed changed. So I gave.  The kiddos agreed: the homeless family needed them more than we did.

2 comments:

  1. Just keep in mind the biblical verse in Revelation: You fed me when I was hungry; you clothed me when I was naked; you opened the door to me when I was a stranger. You will get rewarded for your actions.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing what we cling on to. We have to hold our possessions in an open hand. I lost a suitcase out of the back of our ambulance in Ethiopia which had some things I'd brought back with me from UK. It shocked me how much I cared. It's only things. We take nothing with us to glory.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.