Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Ramadan Ramblings..day 4

Labourers taking a break


Life can practically come to a standstill during Ramadan. Muslims have reduced work hours. I cannot imagine having to work all day with not food or water, especially in this heat.
In our new neighborhood there are lots of building and construction of houses going on. Houses are built here year round, mostly by labourers from Asia-Pakistan, Bangladesh and India. It is heartbreaking to see them building houses with hardly any modern equipment. Do do it in this heat during Ramadan must be torture. But they do it.
Some of them even live on the build site in a shack until the house has a structure, then they live in the house until it is near completion.
This is the reality of so many here. Perspective is always a good thing. So I have to cover up and not eat in public during daylight hours for 30 days a year. These guys live in an enduring life I can't even begin to imagine.


Workers without helmets-photo taken from migrant-rights.org

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.