Saturday, July 21, 2012

Ramadan Ramblings..day 1

Grocery store displays of nuts and dates


It's hard to explain in one blog post what the month of Ramadan is like, so will  have a go at writing short posts. There is a tendency among foreigners here to be negative/complaining/frustrated during this time. I will try to look on the positive side even though the month of Ramadan can be all of the above.
We have chosen to live here, so I hope I can be positive in the midst of the inconveniences this month will bring!


During daylight hours the basics of Ramadan are best shown here. Thanks to a fellow Muscat blogger for sharing this photo..

It's over 40 degrees Celcius (over 110 F) and the teenage kiddo and I have to be covered in public. During non-Ramadan months this means covering shoulders and knees which I like anyway. But this month we have to cover our arms to the wrist and our ankles. I say we "have to". We dont actually have to because most local people here would not say anything if you didnt but we want to be respectful of this time. It doesn't cost us anything to do this except be a little overheated. 
Shopping for groceries today was a bit of a shock. In times past the stores have been empty of shoppers but today (may be due to it being the first day of Ramadan) it was like Boxing Day/Black Friday!
Half on my dinners planned for the week will have to change. There was no ground meat, no canned tomatoes, no pizza sauce, but I did bag the last pack of chicken thighs!
The grocery stores have big displays and bulk buying is big here, especially desert foods like Creme Caramel, Cool Whip/Dream topping and Jello/Jelly Ramadan is a time for families to get together and share in feasting once the sun goes down (called Iftar). So no meat or tomatoes today but I could buy Jello/Jelly in packs of 24!


Annual bulk buying display of deserts for Ramadan





No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.