Monday, November 21, 2011

Facebook friend or foe?


I love Facebook. For someone who has lived all over the world and made friends all over the world, it is a great way of keeping in touch. A lot of my friends are Cross-Cultural teens and adults. If it wasn't for Facebook it would be hard to keep in touch. 
But it's got me thinking. Today two good friends deactivated their facebook accounts. Now there is no way to keep in touch regularly since their email was attached to their facebook account. I have come to realize how much I rely on facebook for long distance friendships. I also wonder what Cross-cultural folks think about facebook. Does it help you settling in a new country to keep in touch with those old friends or does it make you long more for where you last lived?
Does facebook make you feel like the "grass (or desert!) is greener" in other places? Does it make you feel that home is nowhere but everywhere all at the same time?
There are days when I can't facebook. I miss certain people so much that it feels like there is never a real goodbye to those you have left behind.  I miss my friends from college in London, from my birthplace in Scotland. My friends who live in North America and all the other countries I have lived in. Perhaps missing" is just part of being cross-cultural? Somedays facebook makes things better, somedays makes things worse.
Today my heart broke for a teen posting on my wall. A cross-cultural move has turned her world upside down. This phase of missing will pass for her eventually. Or will it?


Feel free to join in the discussion!

1 comment:

  1. I so know that 'longing' feeling, missing friends and family. We're supposed to live in family units I think, that's why so many of the desperately poor people of this world seem so happy because they all live together in a family unit.

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.