There is something mesmerising about this place. Shatti Beach. Really it's a bad phrase because in Arabic Shatti means beach! So "beach beach" doesn't make much sense but it's what we call it here! 14 years go when our Kiddo was almost a year old, we visited this place for the first time. Today we are celebrating our kiddos 15 birthday. Time has passed but the beauty of this place remains the same.
I am thankful for so many things but as I reflect on becoming a Mama for this first time 15 years ago I feel even more blessed. A husband that shares a common vision, Kiddos that are growing in their faith journey and living in the land we love. It's not always easy though..
I get homesick a lot. For where, I am never sure. Sometimes I think it is the burden that Third Culture Kids bear often. Belonging but not belonging. Loving where you live but wishing you could be closer to family and friends. Feeling foreign. Shatti beach is where I come when I feel this way. There is something about the coconut palms that make me smile...
The nations of the world descend on this beach. To walk, play football, and relax. Its our community centre. Maybe that's why I love it so much. Almost everyone here is far from home, yet at home.
My peaceful place. A place of gratitude.


No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.