I wrote the other day about my happy place in Oman..Shatti Beach. And then I realised..I have many happy places here. It is just too hot most of the time to enjoy them. Being a Third Culture Kid and having Third Culture Kiddos means that traditions are really important to us. Over the years we have blended our cultures and traditions and made them unique to our family. Going to the "Rocky Beach" on Resurrection Day has become one of our traditions here.
It's not the prettiest of beaches in Oman, but it has memories and that's what makes it special for us. Way back during our last journey here, my Sweet and I used to come here after dropping the Kiddos off at school, to pray and chat.
Before Hurricane Gonu hit in 2007, there were rocks that were raised up from the sand. They became known as our prayer rocks. The last two Resurrection Days, we couldnt find them. The Hurricane probably buried them in sand. But this time we found them!
Buried in the sand, we could just make out the two seat shapes that we would sit on to pray!
Maybe one day we will come and dig them out a little..but until then we have found a new prayer rock that is raised up like our old one once was..
Every year we send our Kiddos off to hunt for Rocks with cross markings. A reminder of why we celebrate this time of year and in doing so we take a little of our homeland traditions and adapt them to fit the new.
I love this place. I think it is to do with the Palm trees again! I wished we could have stayed longer but the temperature is well into the 40s C/110+ F..
Happy Resurrection Day from us all here in Oman!
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.