Monday, August 13, 2012
Ramadan: One week to go!
I have to admit I have become a Ramadan recluse! It is just too hot to go outside fully covered to the ankles and knees. I have one Ramadan going out outfit and I am tired of it! It's hard to go out and not be allowed to drink anything, even water. It's illegal to even drink or eat in the car. I can't even begin to imagine not eating or drinking at all during daylight hours, and living a life of being fully covered in public.
The fasting in Ramadan is a way for people to "pay" for their sins and wipe out the years previous wrong doings. So, you can imagine why this month is a big deal to folks here. There are some interesting things in this link if you want to know more.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/religions/islam/practices/ramadan_1.shtml
The grocery stores are always packed and take forever to checkout. One of the main food shopping chains, decided to renovate their whole store during this month, including pulling out old freezers and installing new ones. This insanity just adds to the chaos already in progress. Food is a big deal in Ramadan and it's like buying food for Thanksgiving or Christmas everyday for a month! It's a time for families to get together and break their fast as soon as the sun sets.
In another week it will all be over and life can go back to normal.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.