Saturday, March 31, 2012

I'm still here!

Blogging is becoming really impossible these days. Home school is consuming a lot of time! The weeks are flying by and we have 10 weeks 'til we are finished. It has been a whirlwind of a year. Trying to school with books missing (the missing box from Kuwait never did appear) and working round my Sweet's schedule as well as dealing through all the drama that comes with moving countries! I am sure the kiddos have learned something this year but it seems like we are forever trying to catch up with lessons and it feels like we haven't quite got into a good rhythym in our school life, home life and social life (what is that?!)
Now is the time of year when I have to start planning school for next year. I am hoping it will be more fun and less stressful as we try to settle into life here.
I have to think of the positive experiences that the kiddos have had in this school year and not dwell too much on the negatives. 
Here are some highlights:



Art class in the shade of Palm trees




Field trip to try fresh coconuts by the roadside





Learning about Arabian weather-Sandstorms & Hurricanes







Camel spotting road trips


We also have had the fun of a weekly home school co-op with 4 other families. Everyone has brought their talents to share and we have enjoyed:


Art
Shakespeare lessons
Drama
Games
Cake decorating
Scrapbooking
Roman feasting
Valentine party
Overnight sleepovers


During this year at home we have learned history from around the world, the Greeks, Romans, Americans & Europeans. Math has been challenging for everyone-even my Sweet principal having to recall 7th grade lessons again! Everyone is improving in English and getting the kiddos to read books is always easy-they love to read. Science has been fun with one kiddo writing a whole thesis on Hamsters! Our Boy Kiddo became a Lone Scout with his buddy from the USA.The Girl Kiddos became Girl Guides and started learning French. 
I supposed it's not been too bad of a year after all.


I'm torn. I love homeschool however there are some really good international schools here and sometimes I wish that our kiddos could experience this too. Foreigners can't go to the free public schools and the international school fees are so expensive. Think $1200 (600 GPB pounds) a month per child for the cheapest elementary school!


 For now we will be making the most of homeschool in the desert. Time spent with the kiddos will forever be worth it. I just have to remind myself to smile more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.